Wednesday, May 20, 2009

ATTACK of the technology!

Hello gorgeous.

I would first like to say that I am very new to this whole "blogging" thing. But since no one ever reads anything I write on Myspace or Facebook, and this whole site is dedicated to blogging, AND it seems to be the new craze, why not give it a try? "When in Rome" right?


Today I was struck with some very interesting new thoughts (as I often am) while hanging out with my friends Brandon and Amber. For one, Brandon is gay and today was his 18th birthday. While treating him to some ice cream we began to talk about dating and guys. He was saying that he does not have or want a cell phone anytime soon. I responded by saying, "This is 2009! How do you even exist without a cell phone?"

He went on to say one of the most profound and stimulating things I had heard all day. "If a guy likes me, he'll make the effort to see me. The fact that I don't have a phone is just a test to see how bad he wants to go out with me. Any guy who is not worth my time won't make the effort." And while initially the fact of having no phone seems practically impossible to me (I mean seriously, I can't go an hour or more without texting!) I think my friend Brandon might be on to something!

We live in a very technical era, and the people of my generation have so many technical advances that were not available, even 20 years ago. Internet, cell phones, online social networks, music that can be downloaded; these things were nonexistent until now. Not to say that technology is a bad thing, but when it comes to socializing I think it makes us a little lazy. From personal experience, I have found that it is much easier to talk to someone by texting them or chatting online opposed to meeting up with them in person or even calling them. We live in an era of online social networks where we can be connected to people who live across the country and even across the globe!--and there is nothing wrong with that. But it seems most people are meeting and dating other people via Myspace, Downelink, Facebook etc. rather than in person like "The Old Days".

Call me old fashioned, but there is something exhilariting, enchanting and thrilling about meeting someone in person rather than talking to them online prior to meeting them. I like the thrill of walking up to someone and introducing myself to them, or having them do it to me. The chemistry, the exchnage of information, the exchange of numbers--these things my friends appear to be going out of style. Is meeting someone in person going vintage, or even worse "out" entirely? I seriously hope that the consistent technical advances of our generation does not make us all lazy computer geeks, and forget how to interact with one another in person!

Later my little monsters!

Mikey was HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Mikey darling,
    Meeting in person is so old school! Even though it brings all the things you mentioned.
    There is also the "thrill" of meeting someone online, and being able to get to know them over a long period of time and then finally get to meet them in person. Makes meeting them all that more interesting. But for sure meeting first in person and growing from there is the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be honest i randomly stumbled upon this blog.. haha I just would like to say you have a way with words! It's great, and you seem as if youll make it very far as a writer! :)

    ReplyDelete